Dr. Robert H. Lustig is a pediatric endocrinologist, a specialist in childhood obesity and a very talented speaker. He is also the one who directs orthodox attention to the danger of fructose.
His presentation is called ‘ ', Is a 90-minute lecture that delves into the biochemical and scientific characteristics behind fructose consumption, with over 6 million views.
This is a video to watch. I have watched it 3 times and I think it is as entertaining as a movie. He also published a bestseller on the road called ‘Fat Chance’.
Some important points explain why Fructose is harmful to humans
Sugar (sucrose) and high fructose corn syrup provide a significant portion of total calories in a standard Western diet.
Both consist of two simple sugars, glucose and fructose.
also comes from starches like potatoes, our bodies produce it, and every cell on earth contains glucose. Glucose is an extremely important molecule for life.
But fructose is not. People do not produce fructose and throughout history evolution has never consumed it unless the season of fruit ripens.
Glucose and fructose are metabolized by the body in very different ways.
It is important to realize that while every cell in the body can use glucose, the liver is the only organ that can metabolize a significant amount of fructose.
When the diet contains a lot calories and fructose, the liver is overloaded and begins to convert fructose into fat.
Dr. Lustig and other scientists believe that excessive fructose consumption may be the main cause of many of the most serious diseases today. These include obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease and even cancer.
Harm of excess fructose
Eating more fructose in the form of supplemental sugars may:
- Making the fat-synthesized liver the output product is VLDL cholesterol, leading to dyslipidemia (high levels of triglycerides and blood cholesterol), fat surrounding the organs and eventually heart disease .
- Increased levels of uric acid in the blood, leading to gout and high blood pressure .
- The cause of fat deposition in the liver is likely to lead to fatty liver disease in people who do not drink alcohol .
- Causes insulin resistance, which can lead to obesity and type II diabetes .
- Insulin resistance leads to increased insulin levels and factors that increase insulin-like hormone (IGF-1) throughout the body, which can cause cancer .
- Fructose does not affect satiety like glucose, it makes you automatically eat more calories if your fructose intake is high .
- Excessive fructose consumption can cause leptin resistance, disturbing the active principle of body fat and causing obesity .
- Sugar can be addictive .
Leptin resistance , elevated insulin, constant appetite constitutes addictive cycles and insatiable eating is the recipe for increasing body fat.
If being able to cause obesity, cancer, heart disease and diabetes is not enough reason to stop eating more sugar, I don't know what it is anymore.
It should be noted that not all of these have been proven to be unquestioned in controlled trials, but the evidence is still very strong and many studies will draw a clearer picture in years to come.
Fructose from sugar supplements is bad for you, and fruit is not
It is important to realize that all this is not true for fruits.
Fruit is not only a fructose bag of water but also a food that has a low energy density and contains a lot of fiber.
Eating too many fruits is very difficult and you will have to eat very large amounts to reach the level that fructose is dangerous. Generally, fruit is the source of a small amount of fructose in the diet compared to supplemental sugar.
The effects of fructose are true to Western diets because they provide excess calories and Additional sugar . It does not apply to natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables.