Losing weight is an impressive achievement that significantly reduces the risk of disease.
However, those fell a large amount of weight In a short period of time the problem is that the skin is sagging, which has a negative impact on appearance and quality of life.
This article examines the cause of sagging skin after losing weight. It also provides information about natural and medical solutions that can help tighten skin and eliminate sagging skin.
What is the cause of sagging skin after weight loss?
The skin is the largest organ in the body and forms a protective barrier against the environment.
The outermost layer is a protein, including collagen and elastin. Collagen, which accounts for 80% of skin structure, provides firmness and strength. Elastin provides elasticity and helps your skin to stretch.
When gaining weight, the skin will expand to allow room for growth in the abdomen and other parts of the body. Pregnancy is an example of this expansion.
Skin dilation during pregnancy occurs in a few months, and the skin stretches often shrinks within a few months after birth.
In contrast, the majority of overweight and obese people must have excess weight for many years, often starting as early as a young or teen.
When the skin has stretched significantly and remains for a long time, collagen and elastin fibers are gradually damaged. As a result, they lose part of their ability to shrink .
Therefore, when a person reduces quite a lot of discomfort, the skin is sagging. In general, the more weight loss is, the more pronounced the skin effect is.
Furthermore, the researchers reported that patients who underwent weight loss surgery formed less new collagen, which is also inferior to collagen in young and healthy skin .
Summary: Stretched skin during a heavy weight gain often loses its ability to shrink after losing weight due to damage to collagen, elastin and other components to create other elasticity.
Factors causing skin elasticity
Several factors contribute to sagging skin after weight loss:
- Length of overweight time: In general, the longer a person becomes overweight or obese, the more sagging the skin will be after losing weight due to loss of elastin and collagen.
- Weight reduction: A reduction of 100 pounds (46 kg) or more often results in a greater amount of anchor skin than less weight loss.
- Age: More aging skin has less collagen than young skin and tends to become more plump after losing weight .
- Genetic: Genes can affect your skin's response to weight gain and loss.
- Exposure to the sun: Long-term sun exposure has been shown to reduce the production of the skin's collagen and elastin, which may contribute to sagging skin .
- Smoking: Smoking leads to a reduction in collagen production and damage to existing collagen, leading to skin degeneration and degeneration .
Summary: Several factors affect the loss of elasticity of the skin when there is a change in weight, including age, genetics, and overweight.
Problems related to sagging skin
Skin sagging due to strong weight loss can cause physical and mental challenges:
- Physical discomfort: Excessive skin can cause discomfort and interfere with daily activities. A study of 360 adults showed that this problem occurred most often in people who lost 110 pounds (50 kg) or more .
- Reduce physical activity: In a study of 26 women, 76% admitted that sagging skin restricted exercise. In addition, 45% said they stopped exercising completely because their damaged skin caught the attention of others .
- Skin irritation and injury: One study found 124 people who required plastic surgery to stretch their skin after weight loss surgery, 44% said they had sores, ulcers or infections due to sagging .
- Body image degradation: Lean skin due to weight loss can have a negative effect on body image as well as mood .
Summary: Some problems can develop due to sagging skin, including physical discomfort, limited mobility, skin lesion status and degraded body image.
Natural remedies for skin tightening
The following natural remedies can improve strength and elasticity to a certain degree in people who have lost little to moderate weight.
Regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to build muscle in both young and older people .
In addition to helping you burn more calories, increasing muscle mass can also help improve the appearance of sagging skin.
Collagen hydrolysate is very similar to gelatin. This form of processed collagen is found in animal connective tissue.
Although it is not tested in people with sagging skin related to strong weight loss, studies show that collagen hydrolysate may protect skin collagen .
In a controlled study, the strength of collagen increased significantly after four weeks of supplementation with collagen peptide, and this effect was maintained throughout the 12-week study .
Collagen hydrolysate is also called hydrolyzed collagen. It is powdered and can be purchased at a natural food store or online.
Another popular collagen source is bone broth, which also provides other health benefits.
Consume certain nutrients and drink enough water
Some important nutrients for the production of collagen and other ingredients for healthy skin:
- The protein: Add enough the protein As an important factor for healthy skin, amino acids lysine and proline play a direct role in collagen production.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is essential for collagen synthesis and also helps protect the skin from sun damage .
- Omega-3 fatty acids: A small study shows the omega-3 fatty acids In fatty fish can increase skin elasticity .
- Country: Drinking enough water can improve your skin's appearance. One study found women increased Daily amount of drinking water Has significantly improved moisture and skin function .
Use skin firming cream
Many "firming" creams contain collagen and elastin.
Although these creams can temporarily lighten the skin, large collagen and elastin molecules cannot be absorbed through the skin. In general, collagen must be created from within.
Summary: There are a number of natural remedies that help firm skin that is pasty after pregnancy or low and moderate weight loss.
Medical therapies that tighten the skin
Medical or surgical therapies are often needed to stretch the skin after losing weight.
Body shaping surgery
People who have lost a significant amount of weight through obesity surgery or other weight loss methods often require surgery to remove excess skin .
In body shaping surgery, a large incision is made, the excess skin and fat is removed. The incision is fully stitched to aesthetics to minimize scarring.
There are the following types of body shaping surgery:
- Tummy Tuck: Removal of skin in the abdomen.
- Lift the lower part: Removal of skin in the abdomen, buttocks, hips and thighs.
- Lift the upper part: Remove skin on chest and back.
- Lifting middle thigh: Remove skin from inner and outer thighs.
- Brachioplasty (arm lift): Remove the skin from the upper arm area.
Many surgeries are usually performed on different body parts within a short period of one to two years after a strong weight loss.
Body plastic surgery often requires one to four days of hospitalization. The recovery time at home is usually two to four weeks. There may be some complications from surgery, such as bleeding and infection.
However, most studies show that body shaping surgery improves the quality of life of previously obese people. However, one study reported that the quality of life scores in those undergoing surgery decreased .
Tips medical alternative
Although body shaping surgery is the most common procedure for eliminating pasty skin, there are also options for less surgery with lower risk of complications:
- VelaShape: This system uses a combination of infrared light, radio frequency and massage to minimize the dull skin. In one study, it led to a significant reduction in sagging skin in the abdomen and arms in overweight people .
- Ultrasound: A controlled study of Ultrasound treatment in people with orthopedic surgery found no objective improvement in sagging skin. However, people have reported pain relief and other symptoms after treatment .
It seems that these procedures are less risky, but the results are not as impressive as body shaping.
Summary: Body shaping surgery is the most common and effective method to remove sagging skin that occurs after a strong weight loss. There are also some tricks that are not as effective.
Skin condition that is stretched after losing weight can be very worrying.
For those who have lost less to moderate weight, the skin will shrink itself and can eventually be resolved by natural remedies.
However, people who have lost weight may need body shaping surgery or other medical procedures to stretch or remove pasty skin.