Ketogenic is a low-carb, high-fat diet that offers many health benefits.
More than 20 studies show that this diet can help lose weight and improve health .
Ketogenic diets can even help fight diabetes, cancer, epilepsy and Alzheimer's disease .
This article is a detailed manual for beginners to diet according to the ketogenic mode.
The article provides all the information you need to know.
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
This diet helps reduce weight carbohydrates Load into the body, and replace it with fat. Reduced carb intake causes your body to turn into a metabolic state called ketosis.
When this happens, the fat in your body is burned to form energy. The body also transforms fat into in the liver, can provide energy to the brain .
Ketogenic diets can significantly reduce blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with increasing ketones, brings many health benefits .
Summary, Ketogenic (keto) diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet. It lowers blood sugar and insulin levels, and causes the body's metabolic mechanism to shift from carb to fat and ketones.
The ketogenic diet
Ketogenic diet has many different versions, including:
- Standard ketogen diet (SKD): This is a very low-carb diet, with a moderate amount of protein and high in fat. Meals usually include 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carb .
- Ketogenic cyclic diet (CKD): The regimen includes higher carb reload periods than for example, 5 days of ketogenic feeding followed by 2 days of high carb intake.
- Ketogenic oriented diet (TKD): This diet allows you to take carb supplements in combination with exercise.
- Ketogenic diet is high in protein: This mode is similar to the standard ketogenic diet, but with intake protein more loaded into the body. The ratio is usually 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carb.
However, only the standard ketogenic diet and the new high protein diet are extensively studied. Cycle-oriented ketogenic mode is more advanced methods, and is mainly used by bodybuilders or athletes in general.
The information in this article mainly applies to the standard ketogenic diet (SKD), although many principles can also be applied to other versions.
Summary, Ketogenic diet has quite a few versions. The standard ketogen (SKD) diet is the most studied and most recommended.
Ketogenic diets can help you lose weight
Ketogenic diet is an effective way to lose weight and reduce the risk of diseases .
In fact, research indicates that the ketogenic diet is superior to that Low-fat diet usually recommended .
Moreover, this diet still makes you feel full, help weight loss without counting the calories or measuring the food count .
One study found that people who followed the ketogenic diet lost 2.2 times more weight than those on a low-calorie, low-calorie diet. HDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels were also improved .
Another study showed that people who followed the ketogenic diet lost 3 times more weight than those who followed the recommended diabetes regimen in the UK .
There are many reasons why diets are more effective than low-fat diets. One is an increase in protein, which brings many benefits .
Increased tendons, decreased blood sugar levels and improved insulin sensitivity may also play an important role .
For more details about the weight loss effect of the Ketogenic diet, read this article:
Summary, Ketogenic diets can help you lose more weight than a low-fat diet. Moreover, it does not cause hunger.
C Ketogenic diet for diabetes and prediabetes
Diabetes is characterized by changes in metabolism, high blood sugar and impaired insulin function .
Ketogenic diets can help you reduce excess fat, which is closely related to type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and metabolic syndrome .
One study showed that the Ketogenic diet improved insulin sensitivity by up to 75% .
Another study in type 2 diabetics showed that 7 out of 21 participants could stop using all diabetes medications .
In another study, people who followed the ketogenic regime lost 24.4 lbs (11.1 kg), compared with 15.2 lbs (6.9 kg) in the high-carb group. This is an important benefit when considering the relationship between weight and type 2 diabetes .
In addition, 95.2% of the people who followed the ketogenic regime could also stop or reduce their diabetes dose, compared with 62% in the high-carb group .
This article details the low-carb and diabetes diet.
Summary, Diets can increase insulin sensitivity and reduce fat, leading to significant health benefits for type 2 diabetes and prediabetes.
These l Other health benefits of the Ketogenic diet
The ketogenic diet originates as a tool for treating neurological diseases, such as epilepsy.
Studies have shown that this diet can benefit many different health conditions:
- Heart disease: Ketogenic diets can improve latent factors such as body fat, HDL levels, blood pressure and blood sugar .
- Cancer: Ketogenic diets are currently being used to treat certain types of cancer and slow the growth of tumors .
- Alzheimer: Ketogenic diet can reduce symptoms of Alzheimer's disease and slow the progression of the disease .
- Epileptic: Research has shown that this diet can reduce seizures in epilepsy in children with epilepsy .
- Parkinson disease: A study shows the ketogenic diet helps improve symptoms of Parkinson's disease .
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: The ketogenic diet can help reduce insulin levels, which play an important role in .
- Brain damaged: An animal study shows that the ketogenic regime can reduce concussion and help recover from brain injury .
- Acne: Reduce insulin levels, eat less Street or processed foods can help improve acne-prone skin .
However, keep in mind that research on many of these areas has not yet reached a final conclusion.
Summary, The ketogenic diet can bring many health benefits, especially metabolic, neurological or insulin-related diseases.
Food should be avoided
The key is to limit any food with high carb content.
Below is a list of foods that need to be completely reduced or eliminated when eating a ketogenic diet:
- Sweet things: Soda, fruit juice, yogurt, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
- Cereals or starches: Products from wheat, rice, pasta, cereals, etc.
- Fruits: All fruits except a few berries like strawberries.
- Beans or legumes: Peas, red beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, yellow radish, etc.
- Low-fat products or diet products: they are often processed foods with high carb content.
- Some spices or sauces: Usually contains sugar and bad fat.
- Bad fat: Limit the consumption of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Because of the carb content found in alcoholic drinks, they can get you out of ketosis.
- Sugar-free food for diets: These often have high sugar alcohol content, which can affect ketones in some cases. These foods are also commonly processed.
Summary, stay away from carb foods like cereals, sugar, beans, rice, potatoes, candy, juice and even most fruits.
Food should be eaten
Your meals should mostly be based on these foods:
- Meat: Red meat, steak, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey.
- Fish high in fat: Such as salmon, tuna and mackerel.
- Egg: Eggs from grazed poultry or whole eggs containing omega-3 should be eaten.
- Butter and cream: Should eat animal dairy products grazed.
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheeses (cheddar, goat, cream cheese, blue or mozzarella).
- Seeds and seeds: Almond , walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds , etc.
- Oil for health: Pure olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil.
- Avocado: Whole fruit or fresh guacamole sauce.
- Low carb vegetables: Most green vegetables, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, etc.
- Spice: You can use salt, pepper, beneficial herbs and spices.
The best way is to eat unprocessed whole foods. Here is the list 44 healthy foods are low in carb.
Summary, In this diet, you should eat foods like meat, fish, eggs, butter, nuts, healthy oil, butter and a variety of low-carb vegetables.
Ketogenic diet menu samples in 1 week
To help you start your diet, here is a ketogenic sample menu for one week:
- Breakfast: Smoked meats, eggs and tomatoes.
- Lunch: Chicken salad with olive oil and feta cheese.
- Dinner: Salmon with asparagus cooked with butter.
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, basil and goat milk cheese.
- Lunch: Almond milk, peanut butter, cocoa powder and milk shake stevia sweet grass .
- Dinner: Meatballs, cheddar cheese and vegetables.
- Breakfast: A cup of ketogenic milk shake (try or ).
- Lunch: Shrimp salad with olive oil and butter.
- Dinner: Pork with Parmesan cheese, broccoli and salad.
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with butter, salsa sauce, pepper, onions and spices.
- Lunch: A handful of nuts and celery with guacamole sauce and salsa.
- Dinner: Stir-fried chicken with pesto sauce and cream cheese with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Sugarless yogurt with peanut butter, cocoa powder and stevia sweet grass.
- Lunch: Stir-fried beef with coconut oil and vegetables.
- Dinner: Hamburger with bacon, eggs and cheese.
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese served with vegetables.
- Lunch: Sliced ham and cheese eat the same nuts.
- Dinner: White fish, eggs and spinach cooked in coconut oil.
- Breakfast: Fried eggs, bacon and mushrooms.
- Lunch: Burger with salsa sauce, cheese and guacamole sauce.
- Dinner: Beef and egg steak, served with salad.
Always try to change vegetables and meat, as each provides different nutrients and health benefits.
For more recipes, see this link: 101 Healthy recipes with low carb content .
Summary, You can eat a variety of delicious and nutritious foods in the ketogenic diet.
Side dishes in ketogenic mode
If you feel hungry between meals, here are some acceptable healthy snacks:
- Meat or fish is high in fat.
- A handful of nuts.
- Cheese with olive fruit.
- 1-2 boiled eggs.
- Black chocolate with 90% content.
- Low-carb shake uses almond milk, cocoa powder and nut butter.
- Pure yogurt mixed with nut butter and cocoa powder.
- Strawberry and ice cream.
- Celery with salsa sauce and guacamole.
- Eat a small amount of excess meals.
Summary, The best snacks for keto diets include meat, cheese, olives, boiled eggs, nuts and dark chocolate.
Tips for eating out according to the Ketogenic mode
You can also follow ketogenic mode even when eating.
Most restaurants offer a few fish or meat dishes. Order these, and replace vegetables for any high-carb food.
Eating egg dishes is also a great choice, such as omelettes or eggs with bacon.
Another favorite is a breadless burger. You can also leave bread and exchange fries for vegetables. Add a little butter, cheese, bacon or eggs.
At Mexican restaurants, you can enjoy any type of meat with cheese, guacamole sauce, salsa sauce and sour cream.
For dessert, ask for a tray of mixed cheese or strawberry ice cream
Summary When eating food, order meat, fish or egg dishes. Call for more vegetables to replace foods with carb or starch, and eat cheese for dessert.
Side effects and ways to minimize
Although the ketogenic diet is safe for healthy people, it can still have some initial side effects when your body is adapting.
There is a symptom called "keto" - and will go away in a few days.
Keto flu has poor energy and mental symptoms, increased hunger, sleep problems, nausea, digestive discomfort and exercise are no longer effective.
To reduce this situation, you can try a low-carb diet normally in the first few weeks. This can help your body know to burn more fat before you completely eliminate carb.
Ketogenic diets can alter intake country and minerals in your body, so add salt to your meals or replenish minerals.
For minerals, try taking 3000-4000 mg of sodium, 1000 mg of potassium and 300 mg of magnesium a day to minimize side effects.
It is important, especially in the early stages, to eat until it is full and not to limit the amount of calories you consume. Usually a ketogenic diet can reduce weight without deliberately reducing calories.
Summary, Many side effects when starting the ketogenic mode may be limited. Applying dietary and mineral supplements slowly can reduce these side effects.
Add nutrients when following the ketogenic diet
Although it is not necessary to supplement, some substances may be helpful.
- MCT oil: In addition to drinks or yogurt, MCT oil provides energy and helps increase ketones.
- Mineral: Adding salt and other minerals may be necessary while in the diet phase, due to changes in water and mineral balance.
- Caffeine: Caffeine may have the effect of providing energy, reducing fat and improving overall living.
- Exogenous Xeton: Adding this substance may help increase the amount of ketones in the body.
- Creatine: Creatine provides many benefits for health and physical activity. This may be helpful if you are incorporating a diet with exercise.
- Whey: Use half a spoon whey protein in milkshakes or yogurt to increase your protein intake.
Summary, Some supplements may be beneficial for the diet. These include exogenous xetones, MCT oils and minerals.
frequently asked Questions
Here is the answer to some of the most common questions about the ketogenic diet.
- Can I ever eat carb again?
OK. However, it is important to remove them at an early stage. After the first 2-3 months, you can eat carb on special occasions - but then go back to the diet immediately.
2. Do I lose my muscle?
There is always a risk of muscle sores when following any diet. However, high levels of protein and ketones can help reduce this, especially if you are lifting weights.
3. Can I exercise when I'm on a ketogenic diet?
Yes, but it may not be as effective as the average carb diet. See more details: .
4. Do I need to reload the amount of carb?
Is not. However, sometimes there are days when you can get higher calories.
- How much do I eat protein?
The amount of protein in the body should be moderate, because a high intake can increase insulin levels and reduce ketone levels. Limit the amount of protein at about 35% of total calorie intake.
6. What if I am constantly tired, weak or exhausted?
You may not be completely in ketosis, or your body is not using fat and ketones effectively. To improve this situation, reduce your carb intake and review the points mentioned above. A supplement like MCT or ketone oil can also help.
7. Does my urine smell fruit? Why so?
Do not panic. This is simply due to the excretion of by-products produced in the state of ketosis.
8. My breath smells bad. What should I do?
This is a common side effect. Try drinking naturally flavored water or chewing sugar-free gum.
9. I heard that ketosis is extremely dangerous. Is this right?
People often confuse ketosis with . The first is natural, while the second only happens in uncontrolled diabetes.
Ketoacidox is a dangerous substance, but ketosis in a ketogenic diet is completely normal and healthy.
10. I have digestive problems and diarrhea. What should I do?
This common side effect will go away in 3-4 weeks. If it's still there, try eating more vegetables fiber . Magnesium supplementation can also help with constipation.
Ketogenic diet is great, but not for everyone
This diet may be good for people who are overweight, diabetic or looking for ways to improve the body's metabolism.
It may not be suitable for professional athletes or those who are looking to increase muscle mass or gain weight.
And, like any diet, it will only work if you maintain and follow it for a long time.
That means, the ketogenic diet is one of the few diets that has proven to be beneficial for health and helps with weight loss.