The Mediterranean diet (Mediterranean) is based on traditional foods that people have eaten in countries like Italy and Greece in the 1960s.
Researchers note that those who follow this diet are particularly healthy when compared to Americans, and are at lower risk of many fatal diseases.
Many current studies have shown that the Mediterranean diet can not only help reduce weight effectively, but also help prevent heart attacks, strokes, type 2 diabetes and death due to premature birth.
Mediterranean Meal Plan
This diet does not apply to any country. There are many countries around the Mediterranean Sea, but not all eat similar things.
This article describes in detail the diet that has been scientifically proven and shows that it is an effective way of eating.
You can consider these meal plans as common standards, and can be flexibly adjusted according to the needs and preferences of each individual.
The basic points you need to remember in this diet are:
Foods should be preferred : Vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, potatoes, whole grains, bread, herbs, spices, fish, seafood and olive oil.
Moderate foods : Poultry, eggs, cheese and yogurt.
The type of food should be minimized : Red meat.
Food should not be eaten : sugary drinks, added sugar, processed meat, refined grains, refined oils and other high-processed foods.
Avoid Healthy Food
You should avoid unhealthy foods and ingredients below:
- Types are added sugar : Soda, candy, ice cream, sugar and many other foods.
- Refined cereals : white bread, refined wheat pasta ... etc.
- Can trans fat : Found in margarine and other processed foods.
- Refined oil : soybean oil, canola oil, cotton seed oil and other refined oils.
- Processed meats : sausages, sausages ... etc.
- The food is processed high technology : Everything labeled "low fat" or "dieting" or it appears to be produced in a certain fmays home.
You need to quickly read its list of ingredients if you want to avoid these unhealthy ingredients.
Foods To Eat
You should set up your diet based on healthy, unprocessed Mediterranean foods.
- Vegetables : Tomatoes, broccoli, kale, spinach, onions, cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers ... etc.
- Fruits : Apple, banana, orange, pear, strawberry, grape, dates, figs, watermelon, peach ... etc.
- Seeds and seeds : Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, chestnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more.
- Kinds of bean : beans, peas, lentils, peanuts, green beans, etc.
- Tubers : Potato, sweet potato, radish, yam ... etc.
- Whole grains : Oats, brown rice, rye, barley, corn, buckwheat, wheat, pasta and bread made from whole grains.
- Fish and seafood : Salmon, sardines, tuna, mackerel, shrimp, oysters, clams, crabs, etc.
- Poultry : chicken, duck, turkey and other poultry.
- Egg : chicken, quail and duck eggs (organic eggs are the best).
- Milk : Cheese, yogurt, Greek yogurt ... etc.
- Herbs and spices : garlic, basil, mint, rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper ... etc.
- Healthy fat : Extra virgin virgin olive oil, butter and margarine.
All of these food categories are key to helping you have a healthy body.
Some Valuable Notes
Foods in the Mediterranean diet are also controversial, partly because there are many differences between countries.
The diet prescribed in the study is more plant food, and relatively less animal food.
However, recommended fish and seafood should be eaten at least twice a week.
The Mediterranean lifestyle is also related to regular physical activity, eating with others and enjoying life.
What to Drink?
Water is the main drink in the Mediterranean diet.
This diet also includes a moderate amount of red wine, about 1 cup per day.
However, this is completely dependent on each person. People who are alcoholic or have consumption control issues when drinking alcohol should avoid it.
Coffee and tea are also acceptable drinks in this diet, but absolutely avoid sugary drinks such as fruit juices - a product that contains a lot of sugar.
Sample Menu Mediterranean Diet For 1 Week
This is a one-week sample menu for the Mediterranean diet.
The food on the menu you can choose and replace them according to your preferences or food available locally.
- Breakfast : Greek yogurt with strawberries and oats.
- Lunch : sandwich made of whole grains and green vegetables.
- Dinner : A tuna salad filled with olive oil. And a piece of fruit for dessert.
- Breakfast : Oatmeal with raisins.
- Lunch : Tuna salad left over from the night before.
- Dinner : Salad of tomatoes, olive oil and feta cheese.
- Breakfast : Fried eggs with vegetables, tomatoes and onions. A piece of fruit for dessert.
- Meal noon : Sandwich made from whole grains, cheese and fresh vegetables.
- Meal dark : Pasta lasagne.
- Meal shining : Yogurt with fruits and sliced nuts.
- Meal noon : Lasagna pasta from the night before
- Meal dark : Grilled salmon, served with brown rice and vegetables.
- Breakfast : Fried eggs with vegetables with olive oil.
- Meal noon : Greek yogurt with strawberries, oats and nuts.
- Meal dark : Grilled lamb with salad and baked potatoes.
- Meal shining : Oatmeal with raisins, nuts and an apple.
- Meal noon : Sandwich made from whole grains with vegetables.
- Meal dark : Pizza is made entirely of pure wheat, covered with cheese, vegetables and olive oil.
- Meal shining : Omelette with vegetables and olive oil.
- Meal noon : Pizza left from the night before.
- Meal dark : Grilled chicken with vegetables and potatoes. Fruit dessert.
In the Mediterranean diet often do not need to count calories or follow nutrients (protein, fat and carbs).
Some Healthy Food For Meal
You don't need to eat more than 3 meals a day.
But if you see it between meals, you can have a light meal. This is completely accepted in the Mediterranean diet.
Here are some healthy foods for snacks:
- Some nuts.
- A few pieces of fruit.
- Some types of berries such as grapes, grapefruit
- Leftovers from the previous night.
- Greek yogurt.
- A few slices of apples with almond butter
How To Adhere To The Mediterranean Diet At The Restaurant
Very simple to get Mediterranean meals at the restaurant.
- Preferring some types of fish or seafood is your main dish.
- Ask them to fry your food in olive oil.
- Just eat whole-grain bread, olive oil instead of butter.
Food List Should Be Prepared For Diet
To be able to buy all the foods that this diet needs, it's best to go to shopping centers, or grocery stores. There, you can buy everything you need for your meal.
You should choose fresh foods, and organic foods are the best.
- Vegetables: Carrots, onions, broccoli, spinach, kale, leeks ... etc.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, grapefruit ... etc.
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries ... etc.
- Frozen Vegetables: Choose a mix of healthy vegetables.
- Cereals: whole-grain bread, whole-grain pasta ... etc.
- Legumes: lentils, peas, beans ... etc.
- Nuts: Walnut walnuts, cashews ... etc.
- Seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds ... etc.
- Spices: Sea salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon ... etc.
- Fish: Salmon, sardines, mackerel ... etc.
- Shrimp and shellfish.
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Greek yogurt.
- Eggs are rich in Omega-3 eggs (organic chicken eggs).
- Pure olive oil.
This is the healthiest food list available in your kitchen. You should remove all unhealthy tempting foods out of your home such as: soft drinks, ice cream, candy, pastries, white bread, crackers and all processed foods.
If you only have good food in your home, you will tend to eat only the good stuff.
The Mediterranean diet is extremely healthy, and will definitely satisfy you.