Peanuts are a type of nut (nut) and come from South America.
Known for its scientific name Arachis hypogea , peanuts also have many other names such as ground nuts, nuts, goober beans.
In the United States, peanuts are rarely eaten raw. Instead they are usually eaten when roasted, salted or in the form of peanut butter.
Other products made from peanuts include peanut oil, peanut flour and peanut protein. Products made from peanuts are used in a variety of foods such as desserts, pastries, candies, snacks and sauces.
Peanuts not only taste delicious, they are also rich in protein, fat, and many other nutrients that are very beneficial to health.
Studies have shown that peanuts may be beneficial weight loss and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
This is shelled peanuts and peeled:
The table below provides detailed information about all the nutrients available in raw peanuts.
|The protein||25.8 g|
|Unsaturated single||24.43 g|
Fat in peanuts
Peanuts have a high fat content.
In fact, they are classified into oil seeds and most of the world's peanut production is used for cooking oil (peanut oil).
Fat content ranges from 44-56% and is mainly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, most of them are oleic acid (40-60%) and linoleic acid .
Conclude: Peanuts contain high fat content, mainly including single fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are often used to produce peanut oil.
Peanuts are a great source of protein.
Protein content ranges from 22-30% calories , this makes peanuts a rich source of vegetable protein.
Most the protein contained in peanuts are arachin and conarachin, they can cause serious allergies to some people and cause life-threatening side effects .
Conclude: In foods of plant origin, peanuts have a particularly good source of protein.
Peanuts contain less carb.
In fact, carb content only accounts for about 13-16% of the total weight .
Low carb and high in protein, fat and fiber make peanuts available very low , this is a measure of how much starch is loaded into the blood after a meal.
This makes peanuts particularly suitable for people with diabetes.
Conclude: Peanuts have low carb content, the main reason for which is that it is a great choice for people with diabetes.
Vitamins and minerals
Peanuts are an excellent source of rich vitamins and minerals.
The following vitamins and minerals are particularly high in peanuts :
- Biotin: Peanuts are one of the most biotin-rich sources, which is especially important during pregnancy .
- Copper: Western diets often have very low copper content. Copper deficiency can cause adverse effects on cardiovascular health .
- Niacin: Also known as vitamin B3, niacin has many important body functions and has been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease .
- Folate: Also known as vitamin B9 or folic acid, folate has many essential and especially important functions during pregnancy .
- Mangan: found in drinking water and most foods with low amounts.
- Vitamin E: is a powerful antioxidant, often found in foods high in fat.
- Thiamin: is one of the B vitamins, also known as vitamin B1. It helps the body's cells convert carbohydrates into energy and plays an important role in the function of the heart, muscles, and nervous system.
- Phosphorus: Peanuts are a very effective source of phosphorus and also a mineral that plays an essential role in the development and maintenance of tissue in the body.
- Magnesium : Minerals needed for many important functions. Magnesium supplementation is thought to work against heart disease .
Conclude: Peanuts are a great source of minerals and vitamins. These include biotin, copper, niacin, folate, manganese, vitamin E, thiamin, phosphorus and magnesium.
Other plant compounds
Peanuts contain a variety of bioactive compounds and various antioxidants.
In fact, peanuts are also rich in antioxidants like many fruits .
Most antioxidants are in the skin of peanuts , they are rarely eaten unless they eat raw peanuts.
From here we will focus on the plant compounds found in peanuts that often eat more.
Several notable plant compounds found in peanuts include:
- P-coumaric acid: A polyphenol is one of the main antioxidants found in peanuts .
- Resveratrol: A strong antioxidant may reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease . Resveratrol is most commonly found in red wine.
- Isoflavones: is a polyphenol group of antioxidants, most commonly genistein. Classified as phytoestrogen, isoflavone has been associated with many effects both good and bad for health .
- Acid p hytic: Found in plant seeds (including fruit seeds), phytic acid can reduce iron and zinc absorption in peanuts and other food items at the same time .
- Phytosterols: Peanut oil contains a significant amount of phytosterols, the most common type is beta-sitosterol . Phytosterols work to reduce cholesterol absorption from the gastrointestinal tract .
Conclude: Peanuts contain many different plant compounds. They include antioxidants such as coumaric acid and resveratrol, as well as anti-nutritive substances such as phytic acid.
Obesity is increasing in the US .
Peanuts have been extensively studied to help maintain weight.
Despite the fat content and calories High but peanuts do not seem to contribute to weight gain.
In fact, observational studies have shown that consumption of peanuts helps maintain a healthy weight and reduce the risk of obesity .
All studies are observational, meaning that they cannot prove the cause. In fact, consuming peanuts can be a healthy habit that contributes to weight loss.
However, a small study of healthy women showed that when peanuts were substituted for other fats in a low-fat diet, they lost 3 kilograms over 6 months despite not being loved. the bridge must maintain the initial weight .
Another study showed additional 89 g (500 kcal) peanuts entered the diet of a healthy adult within 8 weeks and they did not gain weight as expected .
Other factors that make peanuts become a friendly weight loss food:
- Peanuts can reduce food consumption by increasing feelings of satisfaction at a higher level than other common snacks like rice cakes .
- Because peanuts make a sense of fullness, people who eat a lot of peanuts will eat less other foods .
- When peanuts are not chewed well, some peanuts pass through the digestive system without being absorbed .
- Peanut protein and monounsaturated fat content in peanuts can consume energy .
- Peanuts are a source of insoluble fiber, which is associated with a reduced risk of weight gain .
Conclude: Peanuts make a sense of fullness and it is considered a very useful part of a weight loss diet.
Health benefits good Other of peanuts
In addition to being a friendly food in weight loss, eating peanuts also has several other health benefits.
Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death worldwide.
Observational studies show that consumption of peanuts (and other nuts) can help fight heart disease .
Various mechanisms have been discussed to provide a possible explanation for these impacts, which may be the result of many other factors .
One thing is clear: peanuts contain some heart-healthy nutrients. These include magnesium, niacin, copper, oleic acid and a variety of other antioxidants such as resveratrol .
Conclude: As a good source of nutrition for the heart, peanuts can prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Prevent s honey
affecting about 10-25% of adults in the US .
Two observational studies show that regular consumption of peanuts may reduce the risk of gallstones in both men and women .
Most gallstones mainly form from cholesterol. Therefore, the effect of lowering the cholesterol of peanuts is considered a reasonable explanation .
However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
Conclude: Using peanuts can reduce the risk of gallstones
Side effects and concerns
In addition to allergies, eating peanuts does not cause many other side effects.
However, sometimes peanuts can be contaminated with toxins a poison created by mold.
Poisoning a flatoxin
Peanuts can sometimes be infected with a mildew ( Aspergillus flavus ) produces a poison called aflatoxin.
The main symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include poor appetite and yellow eyes (jaundice), typical signs of liver problems.
Aflatoxin poisoning can lead to liver failure and liver cancer .
The risk of aflatoxin contamination depends on the way peanuts are stored, often in warm and humid conditions, especially in the tropics.
Aflatoxin contamination can be effectively prevented by drying peanuts at appropriate levels after harvesting and maintaining low temperatures and humidity during storage .
Conclude: If stored under warm and humid temperatures, peanuts can be contaminated with aflatoxin, which can cause liver problems.
Substance k nutrient groin
Peanuts contain some substances called nutritional resistance, which reduce the absorption of nutrients and reduce nutritional value.
Among the anti-nutritional substances found in peanuts, phytic acid is particularly interesting.
Phytic acid (phytate) is found in all edible nuts, nuts, cereals and beans. In peanuts it ranges from 0.2-4.5% .
Phytic acid reduces the absorption of iron and zinc from the digestive tract .
Therefore, consuming a lot of peanuts can cause deficiency of these minerals over time.
Phytic acid is often not a concern for diet balance and among those who eat meat regularly. On the other hand it could be a problem in developing countries, where the main food source is cereals or beans.
Conclude: Peanuts containing phytic acid should reduce the ability to absorb iron and zinc.
Peanuts are one of the eight most common allergenic foods.
The estimated peanut allergy affects about 1% of Americans .
Peanut allergies can be serious and life-threatening, peanuts are sometimes considered the most serious allergens .
People with peanut allergies should avoid peanuts and peanut products.
Conclude: Many people are allergic to peanuts and should avoid. Peanut allergies can be life threatening in severe cases.
Peanuts are both popular and healthy.
They are excellent foods of plant origin, containing many vitamins, minerals and plant compounds.
They may be helpful in weight loss diets and may reduce the risk of heart disease and gallstones.
However, peanuts are foods that are high in fat and high in calories, so don't eat too much.